Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Seedlings

It's that time of the year in most parts of the Country to get seedlings started for the spring garden.

I'd like to show you a way to reuse and recycle toilet paper tubes to make a seedling container.

1. Cut the toilet paper tube in half.

2. Make four snips about a 1/3 of the way up the tube across from each other

3. Fold in towards each other to create a little container.

4. Place your soil and seed in the container.

When it is ready to go into the garden you can plant the container and all.

Here is a picture of how the bottom of the container would look.


Some seedling I started for the fall last year:

You can also write the date you planted the seed and the type of seed it was on the side of the container. I use a spray bottle to keep them moist.

Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

7 comments:

  1. That's a neat idea. We're at 7000 ft. so not much success in the gardening dept. for me. I was thinking of trying a 'salsa' container garden this season, but I'm still reading up on it to see if it'll work at our altitude. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this thrifty and recycle idea, Joy!!! I know we are quite often asked to save up the toilet paper roll for use of various crafts in the Pre-school Sunday School.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brenda, I grew up in Florida and now live in coastal Texas so I'm not much help with high altitude gardening. 7000 ft. That's pretty high up there. (can you breathe haha)
    ♥
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a great idea. The kids love to plant things and it's still to old to put anything outside but this would be a great way for us to start some seeds and teach some science and recycle lessons.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so neat!!

    I have been "thinking" about trying to plant some containers of tomatoes on our balcony. I wonder how tomato seeds work work out? I definitely want to try now.

    My first husband always planted a huge garden. He would have LOVED this tip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is something we will be coping this week:)

    ReplyDelete