The list of practical solutions listed below is a continuation of my post under this heading on my Penless Writer blog. If you have not already read that post. Please go here and do so.
Some practical solutions for getting our home & lives in order to weather the difficult times that may lie ahead in our lives and world:
- Begin to tighten your belt.
- Cut back on spending where ever, and how ever, you can.
- Start making extra payment on any credit card debt you have.
- Make extra principle payments on your home and/or automobiles.
- Refinance if the interest rate drops to 4% like they are discussing.
- Begin to lower the thermostat in the winter & raise it in the summer.
- Watch food ads closely and stock up when things are on sale, and just don't buy some items when they are not on sale.
- Start growing some of your own food.
- Put out some rain barrels.
- Recycle and reuse as many items as possible. We have become such a "throw away" society.
- Use your sewing, knitting, etc. skills. Both for your own use and perhaps to sell items.
- Have a garage sale and sell all the STUFF you really don't need or are not using.
Suggestion added by Mari:
- Trading talens - using the barter system (my personal thought on this is we will see more of the barter system during really tight times)
- Saving glass jars to use for refrigerator/freezer storage. For freezing be sure and leave some air space at the top as the food can expand and break the jar.
- Use these glass bottle to take chicken noodle or vegtable soup when taking in foor to a friend. That way they don't have to worry will returning an emply dish.
- Match coupons with sales. Her store doubles up to 50 cents.
- Using electric blankets allows you to lower the thermostat and uses far less electricity.
- Making a compost bin.
- Use cash instead of debit card and you're inclined to spend less money.
Humble Wife added:
- Learning to cook more foods from scratch.
- Wants to learn ways to economize in the homeschooling arena.
Thanks to these 6 who left these 9 great additional tips and solutions.