Thursday, July 16, 2009

Use That Extra Bread

This is a followup on Kristie's post about having extra bread and other items as a result of buying in bulk at places like Costco. For us, it's BJ's, but the same applies. We often have lots of bread around no matter where we shop; it seems my family members often have times when they don't particularly want what's here for one reason or another. One of my favorite healthy recipes is the one I posted once as a sneaky nutrition post on my blog . I promised Susan I would post it here too, because it is indeed a great way to use that extra bread that's not quite so fresh anymore. I sometimes have made it to give to folks when our church makes meals for a household with a sick mom or new baby or just to help out for some other need. Good for breakfast, lunch or dessert, and very nutritious, with or without the wheat germ. Enjoy!

Applesauce Bread Pudding

1. 7 to 8 slices bread, white or whole wheat, or some of both. (Number of slices may vary, depending on size of slices.)
2. 3 eggs
3. 2 cups canned skim milk, undiluted
4. 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
5. 1/2 cup sugar (or less) [I use Splenda for my family. Husband diabetic.]
6. 1 tsp. vanilla
7. 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
8. 1/2 tsp. salt
9. nutmeg
10. wheat germ (about 1/4 cup)
11. raisins, if desired


a. Spray a shallow baking dish and break up the bread into it.
b. In a bowl, mix eggs, add milk, then stir in applesauce.
c. Add sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt to egg mixture.
d. Stir in wheat germ and raisins, if desied.
e. Pour the mixture over the bread pieces.
f. Sprinkle nutmeg over the top.


Bake at 350 degrees until set, about 35-45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Maxine. Can't wait to give this one a try. We love french toast and applesauce so know this will be a winner and especially to use up stale bread.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound GOOD!! Thank you for sharing it; I know the kids and I will love this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Yum! This sounds good!
    Since I don't have wheat germ on hand...I wonder if flax weed would work?? I Gotta go experiment and see how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops! Flax Seed...not weed...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giggling at Lisa's comment!
    That sounds really good, Maxine. We, too, love French toast around here.

    ReplyDelete