Thursday, August 6, 2009

Care For Some Dessert with Those Enchiladas?

Wanting to take advantage of the bounty of summer, my sister, Reva and I, along with her husband, Rick, and my daughter, Grace, went to Rick's parents for some free cherries--we just had to do the picking.

Now, I'm not real good doing price breakdowns but I do know Free is definitely Frugal! The recipe was just one of those shoot from the hip and hope it tastes good recipes--and tasty it was.

These are our pictures from start to finish, all in a day--now that's fresh!



Reva showing us her pickin's

Why is it when both your hands are super sticky you get an itch?

OOPS! Even these cherries didn't get wasted.

Pitting


It was really good--especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
.
We ended up filling five one-gallon buckets and, except for the dessert, froze the cherries to save for the holidays. (But we'll probably sneak in another Cherry Crisp before then, I'm sure!)
.
The crumb topping was a thrown-together mixture of oatmeal, flour, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon-sorry I don't have exact measurements. We sprinkled that on top and then dotted butter all over.
.
Keep your eyes peeled as the fresh produce of the season begins ripening. Do you see apples or peaches hanging over a neighbor's fence? If it looks like they may be going to waste, it doesn't hurt to ask if you could take them to keep them from rotting in their yard. Bartering with someone for their garden-fresh produce is an option as well. Ya never know!

5 comments:

  1. Yes - this is a bargain for sure! The crisp looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful Brenda. The crisp looks devine and I'm sure tasted so. 5 gallons of cherries.....WOW. I wouldn't have wasted a one of those either :o) So glad you were able to post and share with us.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be right over!!!! It's great to hear from you....and I apologize for salivating over the delicious looking food. I'm sure it's not very e-mannerly! : ) Hugs Brenda-Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asking to pick others fruit is very wise!! What pretty cherries, on and off the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful cherries! Yum! thanks for sharing about this!

    Be blessed,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete